–Note: Creating posts in bulk for existing pages so as to get benefit of Categories and other widgets
Course : Snacks
Main Ingredient: Potato
Difficulty level: Medium
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Chilli rating: Mild Spicy without chutney (dip), Spicy with chutney
1 Table spoon oil
1 and 1/2 cups boiled and mashed potatoes
2 green chillies, slit and chopped
1 table spoon grated garlic
1 tea spoon mustard seeds
1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tea spoon red chilli powder
1/2 table spoon finely chopped fresh green coriander
6 to 8 curry leaves
1/2 tea spoon coriander powder
1/2 Tea spoon cumin seeds
2-3 finely chopped Mint leaves
ONIONS (I have used in this recipe, but it can be omitted)
3/4 cup besan
1/4 tea spoon turmeric powder
1/4 tea spoon red chilli powder (OPTIONAL)
a pinch of baking soda
Salt to taste
Oil for deep-frying
1. For the vada filling, heat the oil in a kadhai/ heavy bottomed pan and
add the mustard seeds (and cumin seeds if you opted for).
2. When the seeds crackle, Add garlic, ginger and saute for a 45 seconds on low flame.
3. Add green chillies and saute for another 30 seconds.
–Note: Alternatively you can pound the green chilli, ginger and garlic and add the pounded mixture and sauté again for a few seconds.
4. If you opted for onions, then add the finely chopped onions and saute for a minute, till the onions become golden brown.
5. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder (coriander powder if you opted for) and saute for 15-20 seconds on low flame.
6. Add the mashed potatoes and salt and mix well.
7. Remove from the fire and cool.
8. Divide into 8 equal portions and shape into rounds.
For the outer covering
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and make a medium thick batter.
2. Dip each round of the vada filling into the batter and allow it to coat the mixture well (use a fork to dip and fry,
dont prick vadas with fork just pick them same way as we pick using normal spoon.
3. Deep fry in hot oil, till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.