–Note: Creating posts in bulk for existing pages so as to get benefit of Categories and other widgets
Serves: 4 Bafley:
4 Tbspoon ghee (clarified butter) for dough .
7 Cups whole wheat flour
Salto to taste
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
4 Tbspoon of ghee (clarified butter) to dip bafley after baking
1.5 Cups toor daal (Yellow lentils)
2 Tbspoon Oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 pinch asefoeiteda
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
4 cups water
–Water can be adjusted as per the consistency you require.
In some parts of India, tamarind and sugar(or jaggery) is added to the daal to make it sweet and sour.I prefer preparing sweet tamarind chutney and mix as and when required, as everybody may not like sweet/sour taste:
Method for preparing Chutney:
4 Tbspoon tamarind paste (thick)
12 Tbspoon (or more) sugar
1. Mix sugar to the tamarind paste and mix well.
2. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low flame for 10 minutes.
3. Mix water to bring right consistency only if required.
Method for Bafley:
1. Take flour in a wide utensil, add turmeric, salt to taste and mix well
2. Add clarified butter and mix well.
3. Grab some flour in the hand and check to see if it slightly binds together (may not be too much)
4. Knead with water to make a semi-hard dough5. Make flat shapes and brush one side (the inner side) with 1 tsp ghee to each of these shapes6. Roll it7. Roll from another side, make sure closed from all the ends otherwise ghee will spill out8. Make balls with a depression in the middle9. Boil water (mixed with oil) and add bafley to the boiling water.
10. Boil Bafley till the time bafley starts floating on the surface of water11. Remove from water and let it dry on its own for 10 minutes, turn after 5 minutes so that both the sides becomes dry12. Preheat the microwave 180 degrees, reduce the temperature to 160 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. Turn occasionally. Increase the temperature again to 180degree then bake for another 10 minutes
13. Dip the hot bafley immidieltey in melted ghee (clarified butter) and keep aside till serving time.
Method for Daal:
1. Take 1 and a half cup yellow daal (toor daal)2. Pressure cook (4 whistels, 1 on full flame and remaining on low flame). Make sure to add sufficient water so that daal should not burn and stick to the bottom on the pressure cooker.3. Chop onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies 4. Take oil in the woke5. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, fry for 1 minute, then add onion, green chillies, ginger, garlic6. Let onions turn brown7. Add dry masalas8. Roast for 1-2 minutes on low flame9. Add boiled daal10. Add water, salt to taste (if required) and boil on low flame for another 10-15 minutes11. Serve daal (with clarified butter added on top) with bafley