1 ½ cup toor (arhar) dal
3 tea spoon chilli powder
1 Medium sized onion finely chopped
1 inch ginger minced
5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped finely.
1-2 whole red chillies
1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder
1 ½ tea spoon coriander powder
1 tea spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tea spoon mustard seeds
2 green chillies, finely chopped
A pinch of asafoetida (Don’t skip this )
3 table spoon ghee or 3 Table spoon oil
Salt as per taste
Following two ingredients gives a very strong taste to the daal.
2 bay leaves
1. Soak dal for half-n-hour.
2. Pressure cook or boil the dal with turmeric and salt till done and mash properly with the back of a round ladle.
3. Heat oil in a kadhai.
4. Crackle cumin seeds,mustard seeds.
5. Add asafoetida, dry red chillies (bay leaves, cloves if you are using it)
6. Add garlic, green chillies and stir for a minute or two.
7. Add onions, minced ginger and saute till golden brown.
8. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and sauté for a minute.
8. Add boiled daal and boild for another 10 minutes.
10. Serve hot.