1 1/2 Cup green peas (preferably fresh, frozen can also be used)
1 Medium onion finely chopped.
1 1/2 tea spoon chana masala
Recipe of Home Made chana masala can be found @:
1 tea spoon Red Chilli powder
Salt – to taste
4 Medium sized tomatoes
2 Medium sized Onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 inch piece of fresh Ginger
4-5 medium sized cloves of garlic.
3 Medium sized Green chillies
1/2 table spoon Kasoori methi (slightly roast and make a coarse powder using palm)
1 table spoon Fresh Coriander leaves, finely chopped
8-10 cashews, soaked in luke warm water for 10-15 minutes.
2 Table spoon fresh curd.
1/4 inch piece of Cinnamon
1/2 tsp black cumin seeds (Shahi Jeera)
1 table spoon Butter
2 tea spoon oil
1. Grind cashew nuts with curd to a smooth paste and set aside
2. Boil Grean peas in an open vessel for 10 minutes (or till the green peas are 90% cooked) on low-medium flame .
–Note: Dont make them mushy.
3. Add one tea spoon of oil to a heavy bottomed vessel
4. Add onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies.
5. Saute on medium flame for 2 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes and saute till tomatoes becomes mushy.
7. Cool and grind it to a fine paste (dont add water).
8. Heat One tea spoon oil and add butter to it.
9. Add cloves, cinnamon and cumin.
10. Once the seeds splutters, add onion and saute till slightly brown.
11.Add the tomato paste and saute on low-medium flame for 5-6 mins (till oil separates from the masala)
12. Add channa masala, red chilli powder and salt to taste.
13. Add water (for a thick consistency)
14. Boil for another 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
15. Add curd and cashewnut paste and stir for 30 seconds.
16. Add boiled peas and cook on a low flame for 4-5 mins.
17. Add kasoori methi (Dry fenugreek leaves, you can roaste it slighlty and then make a fine powder using your palms, this will give smoky taste)
18. Serve hot with Phulkas or pulao.