DRY INGREDIENTS FOR MASALA POWDER:
1 table spoon dry coriander seeds (whole)
3 to 4 dry red chilies
1 green cardamom
1/2 tea spoon cumin seed
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1 single strand of mace
3 to 4 black pepper corns
–Note: Today I doubled the quanity for the masala powder as I stored it after grinding for use in other dishes.
3 table spoon oil
–Note: You can use 1 table spoon butter and 2 table spoon oil as well.
200 grams button mushrooms washed and sliced.
1 medium thinly sliced green capsicum.
1 Cup tomato puree
1 medium sized onion, sliced in to half moon shape.
1 and half tea spoon ginger garlic paste.
1 tea spoon dry fenugreek leaves roasted on low frame for 20 seconds and then crushed with fingers to make powder.
Salt to taste
Chopped fresh coriander leaves for garnish
2 table spoon fresh full fat cream.
–Note: Today I have not added cream in the recipe.
1/4 tea spoon garam masala powder.
1/4 tea spoon turmeric powder
1. Take a heavy bottomed pan.
2. On low flame, dry roast all the whole spices mentioned in the dry ingridients secction above till the aroma starts coming. Don’t hurry, roast on low flame for 1-2 minutes.
3. Switch off the gas and let the spices cool down,
4. Grind to a semi coarse powder.
5. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai or a heavy bottom pan.
6. Add the sliced mushrooms.
7. Saute the sliced mushrooms and saute till the mushrooms starts getting brown from the edges.
8. Remove the mushrooms and keep aside (You can soak excess oil by keeing them on a paper napkin).
9. Add finely chopped onions in the same oil and saute the onions till light golden.
10. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till raw aroma of the paste disappears.
–Note: Add turmeric powder if opted for.
11. Add tomato puree and stir on low medium heat till the tomato puree releases oil.
12. Add the sliced capsicum stir and saute for 5 to 6 minutes on a low flame
–Note: You can add capsicum after step 6 as well. I added in step 8 as I need them crunchy.
13. Add half tea spoon red chilli powder and mix well, add the grounded kadhai masala and salt to taste.
14. Add the Kasuri methi (garma masala powder if opted for) powder and stir for a minute.
15. Add mushrooms.
–Add cream if opted for.
16. Garnish with fresh green coriander and serve hot with Chapati, Phulka, Paratha or naan.