SERVES : 2
INGREDIENTS FOR TARI WALEY ALOO:
3 Medium sized Potatoes diced into 1 inch pieces.
3 Table spoon tomato puree.
2 or 3 Green chillies
1 Inch Ginger
1 Table Soon Oil
1/2 Tea spoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
1/2 Tea spoon Red Chilli powder ( adjust as per taste, remember we have already taken green chillies)
Vrat Salt : As per taste (Salt used while fasting)
1 Table spoon Fresh Green coriander, finely chopped
INGREDIENTS FOR KUTTU PARATHAS:
2 cups kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour)
2 medium sized potatoes.
Vrat Salt (Salt used in India during fast)
1 table spoon chopped fresh coriander leaves.
Ghee (Clarified butter) )for roasting
–Note: You can use oil as well, but I prefer Ghee over oil.
Warm water for kneading the dough.
METHOD FOR TARI WALEY ALOO:
1. Chop potatoes into 1 inch pieces, add water , 1/4 tea spoon red chilli powder, mix well and cook on low medium flame till they get soft.
2. Grind tomatoes, green chilli and ginger into fine paste.
3. Heat one table spoon oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
4. Crackle cumin seeds.
5. Add tomato, chilli, garlic paste and saute on low flame till it releases oil (7-8 minutes).
6. Add red chilli powder and salt to taste.
7. Add cooked potatoes and a little bit water
8. Simmer on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
9. Take the tari waley aloo in a bowl.
KUTTU PARATHA METHOD:
1. Pressure Cook the potatoes till they get completely cooked (the core of the potatoes should be soft).
Tip : Always give the first whistle on high flame, then remaining ones on the low flame.
If you dont have pressure cooker then chopp the potaotes in 1 inch pieces and cook covered till they get very soft.
Sieve them through medium sized hole sieve or grate them so as to make them really thin.
2. Peel the Potatoes and mash them while they are warm.
–Note : Be careful.
3. Mix the mashed potatoes, salt, chopped coriander leaves and kuttu ka atta (Buckwheat floor).
4. Knead till you get a medium hard dough.
–Note : Add warm water only when required, because we have taken the potatoes when they are are warm and they release the water as well.
5. Sprinkle floor on the roller board.
6. Take a medium sized ball (golf ball sized) and place on the board.
7. Roll the ball to get the desired shape.
8. Heat tava (Griddle), add some ghee.
9. Gently place the roti or paratha on the griddle.
10. Lower the flame and let one side cook (70%).
11. Flip the paratha.
12. Brush / Smear the top with some ghee.
13. Cook for a few minutes.
14. Flip once or twice till the paratha has brown patches all over.
15. Serve kuttu parathas hot with Tari waley Aloo.