1 Cup Rajma (kidney beans soaked overnight)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 tea spoon red chili powder
1/2 tea spoon coriander powder.
1 cup basmati rice, soaked in enough water for 30 minutes
Salt as per taste
3 table spoon oil
2 Medium Bay leaves ,tej patta
1-2 green cardamoms
1 black cardamom/badi elaichi
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1 tea spoon cumin seeds
1 or 2 green chilies, slit into halves
1. Soak rajma (kidney beans) overnight. Discard the soaked water, rinse the rajma beans under running water. Drain an keep aside.
2. Add the rinsed rajma to a pressure cooker along with 5 cups of water. Add salt to taste.
3. Pressure cook for 8 to 10 whistles or for 15 to 20 minutes. (One whistle on high, remaining on low). Rajma has to be cooked well, rajma should not remain raw or should not become mushy. Pressure cooking time will vary depending on variety of rajma.
4. Let the pressure cooker cool down.
5. Add soaked basmati rice to the pressure cooked rajma. Adjust water if required (rice should not become mushy).
6. Pressure cook for one whistle. Let it cool down.
7. Heat Oil in a heavy bottomed vessel.
8. When the oil becomes hot, lower the flame and add all whole spices, 1 tea spoon cumin seed, 2 medium bay leaves(tej patta), 4-5 cloves, 1 to 2 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamom and half inch cinnamon, let the spices crackle.
9. Add finely sliced onions and green chillies.
10. Saute onions till they start to become golden.
11. Add 1/4 tea spoon turmeric powder,1/2 tea spoon red chili powder and1/2 tea spoon coriander powder.
12. Add the rajma-rice.
13. Mix well.
14. Serve hot with raita or plain curd.