8-10 baby karela/bitter gourd
3-4 table spoon oil
3/4 tea spoon turmeric powder/haldi
1 tea spoon red chili powder
1 tea spoon roasted cumin powder
1 tea spoon fennel seeds powder/saunf powder
1 tea spoon coriander powder
1 tea spoon amchur powder/dry mango powder
1/4 tea spoon punjabi garam masala
3 medium sized onions, finely sliced (half moon shape)
Finely chopped coriander leaves
Salt as per taste
2 tea spoon sugar
1. Rinse the karela. Pat dry.
2. You can peel as well, I have not peeled in this recipe.
–Note: You can rub the salt as well and keep it for 2-3 hours, wash again and use. I wanted to reduce the salt content (to make it healthier) and hence skipped this.
3. keeping the base intact, make a longitudnal cut on each karela.
4. Remove the seeds and pith with your hands or scrape with a small spoon/knife.
5. Mix all the dry spice powders: Red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, amchur, garam masala alongwith with salt.
6. Stuff karelas with the spice powder mix.
7. Tie a thread tightly around each karela.
8. Heat the oil and fry the karela in the oil till they are browned and cooked.
9. Add the sliced onions and fry them till they start becoming crisp and golden.
10. Add sugar (if opted for) and let it blends well with the masalas.
11. Add the rest of the spice mix,and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
12. While serving, remove the thread and serve bharwan karela garnished with chopped coriander leaves, bharwan karela goes best with boiled daal, rice and phulkas.