3 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
You can use mustard oil or refined oil as well.
1.5 cups rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes
I have used a regular basmati rice, you can use a rice variety of your choice.
2 Teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
2 green chillies, slit into halves
2 Medium sized onions, finely sliced
1/2 cup fresh full cream curd.
Salt as per taste
3 Cups vegetable stock.
One medium sized potato, chopped into half inch sized cubes.
One medium sized carrot, chopped into half inch sized cubes.
One cup green peas
Two cups cauliflower florrets.
8-10 french beans, cut into one inch pieces
Whole Masalas (Spices):
2 one inch sticks of cinnamon
2 medium size bay leaves (Tej patta)
2 black cardamoms
4-5 green cardamoms
8-10 black peppercorns
1 Mace leaf
1 tea spoon cumin seeds
1/2 tea spoon shahi jeera (black cumin seeds)
1 Tea spoon red chilli powder
1 Tea spoon coriander powder
1/2 Tea spoon turmeric powder
One teaspoon lemon juice
Finely chopped fresh coriander.
Finely chopped mint leaves.
1 medium size tomato, finely chopped.
Kewra or rose water.
1. Wash all the veggies and cut as mentioned in veggies section above.
2. Rinse and soak, cauliflower florets in hot water for 10-15 minutes.
3. Boil the veggies in hot water for 5 minutes and keep aside.
I forgot to add potatoes so added them later in the recipe 🙂
4. Heat ghee (clarified butter) in a heavy bottomed pan.
5. Add whole spices, starting with both the type of cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, mace, bay leaves, black cardamom, green cardamom, peppercorns and cloves.
6. Fry on low heat for a minute.
7. Add finely chopped onion, fry for a minute on low-medium heat till they become light golden.
8. Add ginger garlic paste, fry till raw aroma of garlic goes away.
9. Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and fry on low heat for 30 seconds.
10. Add the slit green chillis and all veggies.
11. Beat the curd and add to the veggies.
12. Add three cups of vegetable stock, salt to taste and mix well.
13. Cover and let simmer over a slow flame till the rice is cooked.
14. Serve hot with Raita.