200 grams paneer (India Cottage Cheese)
1 large onion finely chopped
7-8 minced garlic cloves
One whole dried red chilli
1 inch ginger, juliend
2 table spoon Oil
1 table spoon salted butter
1 tea spoon cumin seeds / jeera
1 black cardamon
2-3 green cardamom
1 bay leaf / tej patta
1 inch cinnamon stick / dalchini
1 tea spoon bengal gram flour / Besan
1.5 cup tomato puree
1/2 tea spoon turmeric / haldi
1.2 tea spoon coriander powder
1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
1/2 tea spoon cumin (jeera) powder
1/2 tea spoon garam masala (India All spices powder)
1/2 tea spoon kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves crushed
1/2 table spoon fresh green coriander, finely chopped
For marinade, additional 1/2 tea spoon kashmiri red chilli powder, 1/4 tea spoon garam masala powder (Indian all spice powder), 1/4 tea spoon turmeric powder, a pinch of salt and 2 table spoon water.
Salt to taste
water as required
1. In a large bowl add the ingredients of marinade along with water and mix well.
2. Add the paneer cubes and mix gently. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
4. Keeping heat low, add butter and let it melt completely.
5. Add in cumin seeds, dried red chilli, bay leaf, 1 black cardamon, 2 green cardamom and a cinnamon stick.
6. Saute till the spices turn aromatic.
7. Add in chopped onion and saute on medium heat till golden brown.
8. Add minced garlic and ginger julienne. Saute for a minute.
9. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and bengal gram flour.
10. On low heat roast till all masala gets roasted well and gram flour leaves the raw smell.
11. Add fresh coriander leaves and mix well.
12. Add in tomato puree and saute till it release oil.
13. Add water (about 1.5 cups) and bring to a boil. Add dried fenugreek leaves.
14. Add salt to taste. Keep aside.
15. Take a heavy bottomed pan or a griddle and add half tea spoon of butter.
16. Fry the paneer cubes for a minute or two.
17. Heat gavy again and add the fried paneer cubes.
18. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes or till paneer absorbs the spices.
19. Mix well and serve paneer masala with roti, pulao or rice.