250 grams fresh bottle gourd, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, neither thin nor too thick.
1 cup green peas (preferably fresh, frozen will also do 🙂 )
2 Medium sized onion, finely chopped.
1 big ripe tomato, finely chopped
4 table spoon tomato puree
2 tea spoon fresh ginger garlic paste
1 dry red chilli
4 table spoon oil
1 tea spoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tea spoon red chilli powder
1/2 tea spoon coriander powder
1/4 tea spoon turmeric powder
1 tea spoon fennel seeds powder
2 green cardamoms
1/4 tea spoon carom seeds
Salt to taste
1. Boil chopped bottle gourd with 2 generous pinch of salt for 6 minutes.
2. Add green peas and boil for another 4 minutes.
Please note, the boiling time varies as per the texture of bottle gourd and green peas, ensure that it remains crunchy, don’t make it mushy 🙂
3. Heat 2 table spoon of oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
4. Add 1 tea spoon cumin seeds and let them splutter.
5. Add 1 tea spoon ginger garlic paste and stir on low-medium heat for a minutes.
6. Add the boiled bottle gourd and green peas, mix gently.
7. Stir fry for a minute, remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
8. Heat 1 table spoon of oil in the same pan.
9. On low-medium heat add red chilli, wait for a minute.
10. Add onions and cook till they become light brown.
11. Add 1 tea spoon ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
12. Add salt to taste, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and fry for 2 minutes.
13. Add chopped tomatoes, mix well.
14. Add tomato puree and mix well.
15. Cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
16. Add fried bottle gourd and green peas to the masala.
17. Add grounded fennel seeds, green cardamom and carom seeds.
18. Mix well and serve hot with Phulka, parathas or White Rice 🙂