A large bunch of chopped radish greens (mooli ke pattey)
1/4th cup chana dal soaked in water for 30 minutes
2 tea spoon oil
One medium sized onion finely chopped
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
2 Green chillies finely chopped
1/2 tea spoon mustard seeds
1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds
3/4th tea spoon red chili powder
3/4th tea spoon coriander powder
1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1. Wash the radish greens, discard the stems if they are hard and thick, wash them thoroughly.
2. Chop the radish leaves and set aside.
3. Finely chop the onion, garlic and green chilies.
4. Pressure cook soaked chana dal for 2 whistles on high flame, ensure that dal doesn’t become mushy, there should be a bite in the dal.
5. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan or kadai.
6. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and once they splutter, add finely chopped onions, fry till the onion become translucent.
7. Add green chilies and garlic and fry till the raw aroma of garlic goes away.
8. On low flame, add coriander powder, turmeric powder and red chili powder and saute for 30-45 seconds.
9. Add the chana dal, mix well so that masala coats all over the dal.
10. Add the radish leaves, mix well and cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes, mix in between so that it doesn’t stuck at the bottom.
11. Serve Mooli ki bhaji with hot phulkas.