1 Cup Rice.
1 Cup Moong dal.
1.5 tea spoons black peppercorns.
— I like pepper corns very much hence I added more, you can reduce to half tea spoon.
5 table tablespoons Ghee / Clarified butter.
15 nos Cashew nuts pieces.
–I have not used Cashew nuts in this recipe.
3-4 Green chillies, slit into halves.
1 tea spoon Cumin seeds.
A pinch Asafoetida.
A pinch turmeric powder
10-12 fresh Curry leaves.
Water – as required.
1 Tea spoon finely chopped Ginger.
Salt as per taste
1. Heat a heavy bottomed pan or a handi, add rice, moong dal and dry roast for about 3-4 minutes on low flame, or till the dal and rices releases aroma.
2. Add 1 table spoon ghee and cumin seeds, roast this on a slow flame for another 2 minutes and add slit green chilies.
3. Take a pressure cooker add 6-7 cups water, salt to taste, roasted moong dal and rice mixture, turmeric and cook it till 3-4 whistles with closed lid.
4. Heat remaining 4 table spoon ghee / clarified butter in a pan.
5. Add black peppercorns saute for around 30 seconds.
6. Add cumin seeds, cashew nuts (if opted for), chopped ginger, asafoetida and curry leaves.
7. Saute for a minute on medium high flame.
8. Pour this mixture to the mashed rice mixture, mix well and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes. Mix at regular intervals.
–I had a small frying pan so I didn’t added the rice mixture to the pan, instead I did reverse way, you can add the mixture to the vessel where you prepare the tampering.
9. Serve hot with groundnut-coconut chutney and sambar or gotsu.