4 Cups peeled and chopped pieces of lauki (around 1 inch pieces)
2 medium size tomatoes, finely chopped
2 Table spoon gram flour (besan)
2 Table spoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 tea spoon cumin seeds
1/4th tea spoon asafetida
1/4th tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tea spoon red chili powder
2 tea spoon coriander powder
1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder
1 tea spoon minced ginger
2-3 finely chopped green chili
Salt to taste
2 Table spoon finely chopped coriander for Granish
1. Moderately heat oil in a heavy bottomed utensil.
2. Add the cumin seeds, asafetida, and fenugreek seeds stir for few seconds.
3. Reduce the heat add the gram flour and stir for few seconds.
4. Add green chilli, minced ginger, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder stir for few seconds.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes and salt to taste.
6. Add very little water, please note lauki (Opo Squash) also releases water.
7. Increase the heat to medium high.
8. Cook for 4-5 minutes, gently stir in between until spices start leaving the oil.
9. Add about 1 cup of water and cook the sabji for another 8-10 minutes until lauki becomes tender.
10. Serve hot with Chapati, Phulka or paratha.