1 big Red bell pepper
1 medium to big sized tomato
1 medium onion
8-10 curry leaves
2-3 dry red chillies
1/2 tea spoon red chilli powder
1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder
1 tea spoon urad dal
1 tea spoon chana dal
1 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4th inch finely chopped ginger
1 tea spoon tamarind pulp
1. Apply oil on Bell pepper and roast till the skin becomes charred.
2. Apply oil on tomato and roast till the skin becomes charred.
3. Cool down bell pepper and tomatoes and roughly chop.
4. Slice onions and garlic (if opted for).
5. Add chana dal and urad dal and saute them for a minute on low-medium flame.
6. Add 4-5 curry leaves and saute for another 45 seconds.
7. Add dry red chillies and saute for 30 seconds or till the dals turns light brown in color.
8. Add the chopped onions, ginger/garlic (if opted for) and fry till onions turn translucent.
9. Add red chilli , turmeric powder and saute on low flame for 45 seconds.
10. Increase flame to medium and add chopped tomatoes and red bell pepper .
11. Cook till the tomatoes becomes mushy.
12. If opted for tamarind then add the tamarind pulp, mix well and cook for another 1 minute.
13. Switch off the flame and set aside this mixture to cool down.
14. Blend the mixture with very little water to a fine paste.
15. For preparing tadka, heat1 tea spoon oil in a frying pan, once the oil becomes smoky add mustard seeds, remaining curry leaves, stir for 10 seconds and immediately pour over the chutney.
16. Serve chutney with any Dosa or paratha of your choice.