200 gms Black Eyed Beans soaked overnight and pressure cooked/boiled till soft.
2 medium sized onions finely chopped.
7-8 garlic cloves. finely chopped and then crushed.
1.5 inch ginger shredded
200 gms tomato puree
1.5 Tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp red chili powdere
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
0.5 Garam masala : Optional
–Note: There are few dishes like this taste really good without garam masala)
2-3 green chilies finely chopped
Fresh green coriander to garnish
Water for boiling the beans
–Note: While pressure cooking the beans adjust water in such a way that the remaining water in the pressure
cooker can be used while preparing gravy.
1. Heat oil in a kadhai, add cumin and mustard seeds and let them crackle.
2. Add Garlic, Ginger and green chilies and stir for 2 minutes on low flame.
3. Add onions and saute till golden brown. 4.Add all the dry masalas and stir on low flame for a minute or two, till the aroma starts.
5. Add tomato puree and cook on low medium flame till the oil separates from the gravy.
6. Add pressure cooked/boiled black eyed beans along with the water to adjust the consistency. 7. Boil on low medium flame for 8-10 minutes or till the gravy becomes thick.
8. Garnish with Fresh green coriander and serve hot with Plain white rice or chapati’s.