500 gms raw mangoes
500 gms jaggery (brown) or 600 gms sugar
2-3 Table spoon oil
3/4 tea spoon Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
1 tea spoon Fennel seeds (saunf)
1 tea spoon mustard seeds
1 1/2 tea spoon Onion seeds (kalonji)
1/4 tea spoon Turmeric powder
1 tea spoon Red chilli powder
A pinch Asaefoetida
Salt to taste
1. Peel mangoes, cut into small pieces (approx 1 inch).
–Note: There is an alternative way as well, intead of peeling mangoes cut mangoes into big pieces, dont throw mango seed and follow the remaining recipe.
2. Heat oil in a non stick or heavy bottomed pan.
3. Crackle fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, onion seeds and mustard seeds.
4. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder asaefoeiteda and fry for 30 to 40 seconds on low heat.
5. Add mango pieces and mix well.
6. Add about 50 ml water.
7. Cook for 7-8 minutes.
8. Add jaggery or Sugar.
9. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
10. Remove from heat and cool.
11. Serve as accompaniment with Parathas, Chapati, Thepla or store in sterilized bottles.
–Note: It can be stored for 1-2 weeks if refrigerated.
Recipe for Thepla can be found at the following page of the same blog: