Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes Makes approx 50-60 Mathris:
Ingredients: 4 cups all purpose flour / maida
1 tea spoon Carom seeds (ajwain in hindi)
2 and a half table spoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
2 tea spoon black pepper corns (kali mirch)
8-10 table spoons clarified butter (ghee)
Oil to deep fry
Salt to taste
Method: 1. Crush the pepper corns very coarsely.
2. Crush dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi).
3. To the flour, add salt, carom seeds, kasuri methi, pepper corns and mix well.
4. Add melted clarified butter (Ghee) and mix well.
5. Add sufficient cold water to make a hard dough.
6. Cover and rest the dough for 15-20 minutes.
7. Take a big portion (size of a tennis ball) and roll it into a round shape and then use a round shape cutter to cut into rounds. I used a bottle cover 🙂
Note: Alternatively, divide the dough into equal balls and flatten them slightly. Press lightly at the center with your thumb to make a slight depression and prick with fork.
8. Prick with a fork.
9. Heat oil in a pan.
10. Deep-fry mathris on low-medium heat till they become golden and crisp.
11. Drain and place on an absorbent paper (I kept in a plate as I wasn’t having absorbent paper).
12. Once mathri cools completely, store in airtight containers.
13 Serve with hot tea, spicy green chutney or fresh thick curd.