2 1/2 Tablespoon clarified butter (or oil, but I would prefer Clarified butter).
3 Cups Basmati rice.
3 Medium sized onion finley chopped. (half moon shape).
3 Medium sized tomato finely chopped. (half moon shape).
–Note: You can add cauliflower, french beans or even brinjal to this.
1 1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds.
1 Cup green peas.
2 Medium sized potatoes chopped in finger shape (2 inches)
1 Teaspoon Red Chilli powder (Dont worry it wont be spicy, its required just to get red color)
1 Teaspoon coriander powder.
Salt to taste.
–Note: Rice to water ratio is a bit tricky and depends on the rice, so it would be better to refer
your rice packet for any directions. I usually follow 1:1.5 ratio ( 1.5 cup water to 1 cup rice)
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds.
2-3 green cardomoms.
1 star anise.
5-8 whole black pepper.
1. Heat clarified butter in a pressure cooker.
2. On high heat, add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
3. Reduce the heat to medium, add onions (add salt, this will help in removing the water from onions soon).
4. Add red chilli powder and coriander powder and stir for a minute.
5. Once onions becomes brownish add tomatoes and mix well, be carefull don’t mash them.
6. Add chopped potatoes, green peas , water and salt to taste.
7. Pressure cook (one whistle on high flame and one whistle on low flame).
–Note: If you dont have a pressure cooker and if you are preparing in an open vessel, then cook
till the time rice grain becomes soft, it will take around 15-20 minutes on medium flame. Check in between.
8. Garnish with fresh green coriander and serve hot with kadhi.
Kids love these as taste really well with tomato ketch up. So, its
a nice option for kids lunch boxes as its quick and tastes really well.
–Note: For kadhi recipe please follow the following link on the same blog: